Friday, May 28, 2010

Primary or Seconday??

So it was a very long day in Jacksonville today but all the testing is done. I had everything done to determine if my PH is primary or secondary. First was the blood draw - 13 tubes in all!! Then I went for all the pulmonary stuff. I had PFT's - which I hated. I had to do an exercise test where I stepped up and down on a set of stairs. After 1 minute and 41 seconds I had to stop because my heart was pounding and I was starting to get short of breath. I was scared I would pass out but after resting for a minute I felt fine. Then they drew an ABG - the girl was good. It hurt less than the lab draw! Then I had my six minute walk where I walked around the halls for six minutes! Every minute they recorded how far I went, my oxygen level and my heart rate. Everything was stable. I then went to cardiology for my echo, chest xray and EKG. Last but not least I had the VQ scan to determine whether or not there are any blood clots in my lungs. That was probably the worst test only because for the first part I had to hold a mask over my face and breathe in and out - I felt like I was being suffocated - it was awful. The rest was a piece of cake - just lay on the table while the camera takes pictures.

After everything was done I waited to see the doctor. He seemed much more friendly this time (probably because he was ready to start a 3 day weekend!) He said everything so far looked fine so he pretty much determined I have primary PH. All along I knew this was going to be the outcome. I am ok with it and ready to fight :) Next Wednesday I have my cath scheduled. During the cath they will give me meds to see what will help bring down the pressures. I am hoping and praying I will be on oral medications and not IV. I guess I should be happy to be on whatever works but continuous IV is just another hurdle I don't want to have to leap. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Eric and I stopped for dinner on our way home. There was a cute 5 month old baby sitting near us and it made me a little sad. I still haven't completely come to terms that I can never get pregnant again. I basically try not to think about it. When we got home Ashleigh was so happy to see us and that made me feel sooo much better. We were all playing upstairs and she was cracking up laughing - probably the biggest and cutest belly laughs I have ever heard :) It made me realize how very lucky I am and how much I have to fight for!

I want to say thank you to everyone for all their positive thoughts and prayers. It helps more than I can say. This has been tough to deal with but is made a little easier knowing we have so many people who love and care about us and will do anything to help. I have to especially thank my mom - I definitely would not be able to get through this without her. She has been here since I had the first cath. Since I can't pick up or carry Ashleigh she does it all for me. And thanks to my Dad for letting her stay here - it can't be easy :) I can't wait for Dad and Katie to come down in a couple weeks!

3 comments:

  1. "A friend is a gift you give yourself" -Robert Louis Stevenson
    Hello, pretty lady!! You are my gift, a constant in my life and so very grateful for your positive attitude right now.. so let's wrap you up in bubble wrap, tie on a big red bow and stamp "fragile" all over you so you are handled with care! I love you honey and wish I were not so far away from you right now. Sending hugs and positive thoughts xoxo -Nik!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we love you and keep you always in our thoughts..today is cath day and we hope you do well...love and kisses
    sam and family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, Mama Piazza! It was so good to hear from you today, and to hear that great Mama Piazza giggle! I'm so glad that the cath went well, and leaving you with more positive thoughts. Keep those positive thoughts, don't let any negative in! Your ICU family is rooting for you! Lots of love---Cathy Marshall

    ReplyDelete